Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Messenger With a Twist

This weekend my friend offered to loan me an Amy Butler messenger bag pattern. I've been wanting to try some Amy Butler purse patterns, but don't sew that much with patterns so I haven't taken the time to pick any up. But her offer was too good to pass up.

It is a messenger bag with a twist...the flap that comes over the top of the bag is another little purse bag in itself with a flap of it's own. All these little "flaps" are velcro'd to anchor. You can't have flaps flying all over the place. Pretty clever if you ask me. I made the bag from cotton fat quarters I had lying around in a mix of spring oranges, browns and greens. It is a casual messenger bag to be slung crosswise over the body and can hold almost a weekend's worth of stuff. Perfect for a long bike ride or walk.




Look, here is the purse flap slung over the back so you can see the inside of the bag.


The back of the bag has two pockets for keys and other need be accessible quickly stuff. Handy. I am forever loosing my keys deep down in my bags.

I have to admit, as much as I think this one is nifty and clever...it was a bit of work. I think this pattern will will be kept for gift making rather than the steady stream of knocking out bags to sell.

No comments: